Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cloth Diapers

Yes, we will be using cloth diapers. Brian mentioned it somewhat jokingly very early on. The only picture I could see in my head was the big thin piece of cloth that my mom had to wrap around me and Erika and then 2 hours later she had to soak them in a bucket, boil them on the stove etc... So I said...NO!

But then I had the opportunity to attend some meetings where they introduced me to the 'new'cloth diapers and I was sold. As with everything else these days, they are easy to use and they have so many kinds you don't know where to start looking.
Look how cute they can be these days:




Of course, there are many different colors, designs, fastening systems that it can get pretty overwhelming. After much research, I went ahead and started ordering them online last night. I got a few different kinds to see what works best for us. The start up cost is more expensive than disposable diapers, but once you have your collection, all  you pay for is one extra wash of clothes. I will start with about 20 diapers that I will rotate since we have a washer and a dryer in the house.

I am excited to use them because they are more eco-friendly, we will be putting our son's bum in a natural material and the saving money part is not a bad side effect either. After looking at nothing but diapers for 5 hours straight,  I even dreamed about them last night!




5 comments:

Jon and Charmian said...

Hi Brian and Petra,

We looked in to reusable diapers and were put off by the cleaning. Good luck! I think these look better than the ones we tried. Nice to see you are making the effort.

Ryan,Erika,Kaylee and Khloe Pettersson said...

Vela stastia. Skusim to dat do google a uvidim co najdem. Urcite je znie lahsie ako to je....

Petra said...

Thanks Charmian, I had a chance to speak with a few moms who use them and the cleaning is very easy. The funny thing is, the package on disposable diapers instructs you to dump the waste in the toilet and then dispose of the diaper.

Heather Nicole said...

I think this is pretty interesting. Where did you buy them from?

Petra said...

I ordered most from the states so I did it online, but there are a few istores n Utah where you can see them. Let me send you links.